Saturday, August 5, 2017

The Swimmer's Moon

Posted to my Facebook page on July 25

Did anyone notice the moon tonight? A wee sliver, just starting to grow. Keep an eye on it-- when it is full, I'll be swimming the lake.  
I am very fortunate to have a core of people willing to park themselves on a boat, some doing shifts in a kayak, for hours and hours. It has been compared to watching grass grow. Well, from my vantage point, if my goggles are clear, I'll be watching the sky dim as the last glow of sunset fades,. The moon will be out, ready to rise and move in the sky, stars will come out, hopefully only a few clouds will be lit by the moon, not obscuring the view. 
During my early morning long swims, I've watched the sun rise past the mountains and trees, letting me see a clear view when I breathe away from the glare of the sun once it clears the obstacles. I've swum miles and miles as the sun has risen higher, to the point where the glare fades and I can see a view in all directions. I'll have many hours to mark the progress of the sun across the sky, and my progress past the stunning landscape that frames the lake. Oh, for a clear, sunny day! 
With calm water, and minimal wind (from the south if at all, please!), I should be watching the sky turn colors with sunset, and maybe land at Diane's Rock while the mountains are still backlit by a deepening blue, still lighter than the silhouette of the mountains. Maybe the moon won't have risen quite yet. . . 
We shall see. 
I do love to swim with the Moon.
------------------------
Thoughts on August 5- 
I've had a few night swims with the bright moon in the past few days.  I love the way it lights up any clouds that aren't able to hide it, and the way it shines through the shallow water in places so I can see submerged rocks and even some of the weeds that are not my favorite things to swim through.  The moon also shines on anyone paddling, and helps everyone stay on course.  

We are likely changing the start of the solo swim from August 7 to August 8, to avoid the worst of the rainy forecast.  I really want anyone on the boat or in a kayak to have the most pleasant time possible.  Torrential downpours are not fun if you are not the one swimming.  

3 comments:

  1. Taking in the full theatrics of the skies, from the unusual view point of the wide-stretching flow of our natural waters, while swimming the endless distances you do (to boot!) -- Quite a fascinating perspective! Thanks a lot for sharing it. I can imagine how wonderful a vision it must be, taking it all in, across horizons completely uncluttered by the invasive silhouettes of urban/ metropolitan living spaces. Looking ahead of you and seeing the imaginary point where the sky meets the waters -- What a backdrop that must be for the many reflections that engage your mind, in the great blocks of time you devote to this passion. For the swim miles you've charted in; and the mind-musings mileage and soul refreshment that this must bring, you've surely built a wealthy bank of memorable experiences from your many adventures. Well done and more grace to keep you safe, through it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lillian-- thank you so much for reading and commenting! The natural landscape is an amazing thing-- but I must admit, it is fascinating to swim by an urban landscape like the NYC financial district or Boston Harbor. See you in the threads online!! :D

      Delete
  2. Taking in the full theatrics of the skies, from the unusual view point of the wide-stretching flow of our natural waters, while swimming the endless distances you do (to boot!) -- Quite a fascinating perspective! Thanks a lot for sharing it. I can imagine how wonderful a vision it must be, taking it all in, across horizons completely uncluttered by the invasive silhouettes of urban/ metropolitan living spaces. Looking ahead of you and seeing the imaginary point where the sky meets the waters -- What a backdrop that must be for the many reflections that engage your mind, in the great blocks of time you devote to this passion. For the swim miles you've charted in; and the mind-musings mileage and soul refreshment that this must bring, you've surely built a wealthy bank of memorable experiences from your many adventures. Well done and more grace to keep you safe, through it all.

    ReplyDelete